Are teens getting enough sleep?

Sam Metts, Staff Writer

The average high school student should be getting an average of 9 and ¼ hours of sleep. But on top of homeowrk, sports and the practices that go along with them, and a job and work around the house time adds up. Most student don’t go to bed until around 11 or even past midnight. On a study site, the National Sleep Foundation says that less than 15% of students are meeting the critia of getting enough sleep at night. Teens tend to have irregular sleep patterns across the week, they typically stay up late and sleep in late on the weekends, which can affect their biological clocks and hurt the quality of their sleep.

The consequences of not getting enough sleep include: making you more prone to pimples, can contribute to acne and other skin problems, and can also lead to aggressive or inappropriate behavior. The solutions of getting more/ enough sleep is to make sleep a priority, try keeping a sleep diary and keep track of what you are sleeping each night. Take naps and make sure you plan them just right and don’t take a long nap just a right amount one to regenerate you. Finally don’t eat, drink, or exercise within a few hours of your bedtime. Don’t leave your homework for the last minute. Try to avoid the TV, computer and telephone in the hour before you go to bed. Stick to quiet, and calm activities during this time period.