Mrs. Reyes displays the characteristics of NHS in the classroom

Alaina Bowers, Staff Writer

National Honor Society serves to honor students who have demonstrated excellence in areas of scholarship, leadership, services and character.  Mrs. Reyes shows these characteristics, as well as the students she teaches and works with in the National Honor Society program.  The motto says to, “Fill your heart with creative power to accept the past, decorate the present, and transform the future.”

Mrs. Reyes went to Austintown Fitch High School. She graduated from Youngstown State University with a bachelor’s degree in Education.  She also got her master’s degree from Kaplan University.

She has always wanted to teach history since she was a little girl. Her dream career was to always be a teacher.  The reason she wanted to become a teacher is because she loves to teach and help children.

Some of her hobbies are reading, shopping, and hanging with her kids and family. She likes teaching high school because she has different students every period of the school day, and she enjoys working with the high school age group.   The toughest part Mrs. Reyes thinks about teaching is “keeping all the kids backgrounds, their lives at home, and meeting all their needs that they need met.”

She has been teaching at Jackson-Milton Schools for 14 years.  Her first 6 years at Jackson-Milton schools, she taught special education.  This is her eighth year teaching social studies. Mrs. Reyes is also the head advisor of National Honor Society, also known as the NHS. She is also the junior class advisor and the co-advisor for SADD which stands for Students Against Destructive Decisions.

Mrs. Reyes became the  co-advisor of National Honor Society (along with Mr. Vega) when Mr. Jeffries stepped down. When Mr. Vega became principal she became the head advisor.  She said the National Honor Society, to her, “Represents many services that help everyone and provide programs that will help raise money for various organizations. It also teaches young men and women to give to their community.”  This encourages her students to have the desire to help those that are in need and give back to the community in which they live in.

The National Honor Society was established in 1921.  The National Honor Society is an organization established to recognize outstanding high schools students. It serves to honor students who have demonstrated excellence in areas of scholarships, leadership and character. We are not held back by the love we didn’t receive in the past, but by love we’re not extending in the present. The four main purposes of NHS are to stimulate a desire to vender services, to promote leadership and to develop character in the student’s life. Today, it is estimated that more than one million students participate in the National Honor Society activities. The National Honor Society chapters are found in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, many U.S. territories, and Canada. Chapter membership not only recognize students for their accomplishments, but challenges them to develop further through active involvement in school activities and community service.

This year Jackson Milton High School’s National Honor Society is sponsoring a Father and Daughter dance for the students in k-6 grade. They are also sponsoring a Mother and Son dance in the spring, also for k-6 grade. “Our students are starting many events this year that hopefully will become traditions at JM,” said Mrs. Reyes.

Jackson-Milton High School demonstrates excellence in areas of scholarship, leadership, services and character due to Mrs. Reyes characteristics as well as a great leader.  She recommends that we, “fill our hearts with creative power to accept the past decorate the present and transform the future.”  Thank you Mrs. Reyes for all your hard work.