So many decisions…which college do you choose?

Courtney Macphee, Staff Writer

As junior year approaches, students should begin researching and checking out colleges. During this year, students should go on campus tours and begin trying to decide on a major or career. Many colleges have a designated day just for juniors to come and preview the campus and to tour the academic building and dorms.

When senior year approaches, most students should have somewhat of an idea of what they want in a college and what interests them for a career. When choosing the right college there is several things to look at. The size of the college, how much it costs, how far it is from home, and if the academic program you’re interested in is available or up to standards.

Many popular colleges in Ohio are: Youngstown State University, Kent State University, Akron University, and Ohio State.

Students should do extensive research on what the college has to offer based on their specific major. From STEM majors to early childhood education, students should find the best program for their interest.

Another thing to think about when choosing the right college is the amount of scholarships available to incoming freshmen. Paying for college is extremely expensive for yourself and for your parents, but finding a college that will give you free tuition if you have a minimum of a 26 on the ACT is something to keep in mind. Along with the scholarships is the Honors Colleges. If you are interested in trying to get into the Honors College at a college, you should find out as much information as you can and the criteria needed for hopeful admission.

Picking a college is a personal decision and can be decided by you and only you, with the help of your parents of course. So, when choosing the right college, pick one that suits your academic interests without putting you in debt at the age of 18. The best way to make the final decision is to tour the campus one last time to make sure you feel safe and at home. After all, you will be spending at least four years there.