MADD Assembly encourages students to make positive choices

Mason Mercer, Staff Writer

Summer Pitner was a little girl who had been killed in a tragic crash and is the foundation for some of the MADD programs that exist today. Officer Sosnosky arranged the assembly for students.  During the assembly students learned of her tragic death, her family’s loss and what they are doing to try and help prevent the loss of young children’s lives.

Her cousin and Grandmother spoke of the incident with Summer and touched the hearts of students here at JM.  They told students how she was, what her life was like, how she was always happy, and they told of the tragic night they lost her. They included a slide show so students could really see what she was like and understand what the family had to experience.

Her grandmother had told that she was always very intelligent and happy and that she would always help. Her grandmother told students how she had stopped speaking to schools due to the sadness the incident brought upon her. But, she came back this year to show the seniors, who were the same age as summer would have been, that there is still hope.  She wanted them to know that Summer would have been there to support them and would be happy that we cared about making positive choices.