JM hosts Hoops for Hope competition

Ashley Cameron, Staff Writer

Jackson-Milton is hosting an American Cancer Society Hoops for Hope qualifier. Hoops for Hope is a collaboration with the American Cancer Society and the Cleveland Cavaliers to host a friendly free throw competition to raise funds and awareness to help fight cancer.

Our school will participate with a qualifying round and winners from each grade bracket will advance to the Regional competition. Winners from the Regional competition will be invited to the Final competition on February 6, 2015 from 2:00-3:30 pm at Quicken Loans Arena. A donation of $10 is requested if you choose to compete in the entire tournament. For a donation of $20 or more, participants will receive a Hoops for Hope t-shirt.

The American Cancer Society’s goal is to provide a safe, fun and positive experience for all participants. They also hope the participants have a great experience while they raise money to help fight cancer.

The first event (the qualifying round) was held in the gym at Jackson-Milton High School and took place on November 24, 2015.  Fifteen kids participated in the tournament, 13 were in grades 7-8 and 2 were in grade 9. In the middle school competition Joey Williams, Robbie Butler, and Camron Perry all tied in the first round with 5/10 shots made. During the tie breaker Joey won the competition with 3/5 shots made. In the high school competition Ashley Cameron won with 9/10 shots made over David Vega with 6/10.

Joey and Ashley are advancing to the Regional competition which will take place at a school in Mahoning County in January. All money that was raised from this event will be donated to the American Cancer Society.