SADD recognizes Unity Day and World Kindness Day

Anthony Eppendorfer

In 1988, there was a new holiday that had been introduced to the world. It was known as World Kindness Day, and it falls on November 13th every year and it has had a huge impact on society. People make a pledge on this day to give compliments or do something that can positively impact a person’s day.

This year was the first year that Jackson-Milton has officially observed this national day of kindness. The directors of SADD, Rochelle Morelli and Jeanne Reyes had decided to implement this world holiday into Jackson-Milton.

The students here at Jackson-Milton absolutely loved it, all the students showed their appreciation by wearing cardigans in honor of Fred Rogers.

The previous month, on October 23,  students wore orange on Unity Day for National Bullying Prevention. Unity Day, SADD asked that students join in wearing orange that day to show their support in the National Bullying Prevention Month movement.  The logo states, “By wearing and sharing the color orange, we can be united in kindness, acceptance, and inclusion.”

SADD encourages these events to help promote positive behaviors and encourage students to always be kind to one another.

Student Jakob Fay was a student that took it to another level, saying, “The world is a place of good and bad things but you have to sift through the bad to find the good.”

Participating in these events makes it easy to see the positive.  Not only were the kids participating in World Kindness Day, the teachers were also all for it as well.

Math teacher Leah Condon said, “ I was most impressed about how students really embraced the opportunity to show kindness in what feels like a very unkind world, I hope that we continue doing this every year.”

Overall, Jackson-Milton students and staff had completely adopted the holiday for the first year and celebrated it like they do it every year. Everything felt natural and it’s a good life lesson to students to show your appreciation and kindness to everyone around you.