Wrestling Jays 2018-19

Hunter Nitzsky begins his match

Lynzi Satterlee

The Blue Jays wrestling team started their season and they’re getting ready for their matches. They’re hoping to compete for championships and start off strong. Hopefully another state run in store for the Jackson Milton Blue Jay wrestling.

Also Hunter Nitzsky states, “Were hoping to have a good year and fight for our school.”

The JM Varsity Wrestling started their season off with a match at the Poland Duals at Poland High School. This tournament was held for five different schools to go head to head. The Blue Jays had a good day wrestling bringing home three wins and two losses.

Junior Ryan Staton was undefeated for the day. His record was 5-0 and he was also named ‘Most Valuable Wrestler.” It was also a great day for senior Jeremy Seka and Junior Hunter Nitzsky with four wins and one loss.

Nitzsky states, “We’ve got the season started off right.”

The Jays are hoping for a very successful season.

On December 7th the Jackson-Milton Wrestlers traveled to Painsville, OH for the 2 day tournament.  The Blue Jay Wrestlers had 8 advance to the Championship Bracket.

Austin Stanke 106lb, Joe Armstrong 106lb, Zach Davis 126lb, Jeremy Seka 132lb, Ryan Staton 138lb, Anthony Pizzuto 145lb, Hunter Nitzsky 152lb, and Evan Mitchell 220lb they all had advanced to the 2nd day.  At the end of the day the Jackson-Milton Wrestlers have placed in 8th place with 79 points.

On December 8th, 2018 the Jackson-Milton Wrestlers went to the second day of the Riverside Rumble took place. Junior Ryan Staton was a Riverside Rumble Champion in the 138lb weight class.  The Blue Jays finaled in 7th place with 164 points. On December 14th, 2018 the Jackson-Milton Wrestlers went to the D3 classic at Waterloo. Sophomore Hughston Lockner, Junior Ryan Staton, Senior Anthony Pizzuto, and Senior Jeremy Seka qualified to go onto the second day of the tournament for the championship bracket.  

On December 15th, 2018 the Jackson-Milton Wrestlers went back for the second day of the D3 classic held at Waterloo High School. Junior Ryan Staton placed 4th, Senior Dyllen Gibbs placed 5th, Junior Hunter Nitzsky placed 6th, and Freshman Cole Graham placed 5th.

On December 18th, 2018 the Jackson-Milton Wrestlers went to South Range High School for a dual.  Three teams were at the dual meet Jackson-Milton, South Range, and Columbiana High School. The Blue Jays finaled in 2nd place with 66 points. Three Blue Jay Wrestlers were undefeated at the meet. Senior Anthony Pizzuto, Junior Ryan Staton, and Sophomore Austin Stanke.

On January 5th, 2019 the annual Leonard Truck and Trailer Tournament took place at Jackson-Milton High School.  A total of 11 teams were participating at the invite. The 145LB Champion was Anthony Pizzuto, a senior at Jackson-Milton. Austin Stanke, sophomore, took second place in his weight class. Evan Mitchell, senior, and Ryan Staton, junior, took second place in their weight classes. Overall the Blue Jays placed seventh place as a team with 93 points in the Leonard Truck and Trailer Tournament.  

January 11th, 2019 the EOWL Championships will be took place at Austintown Fitch High School.

Many of the  Blue Jay wrestlers took a trip to Andover, Ohio for the Eastern Ohio Wrestling League (EOWL) junior varsity end of the year tournament.  This tournament is a chance for wrestlers to get more mat time to end their season or get ready for the OHSAA Sectional Tournament to be held next Saturday.  9 Blue Jays left this tournament with medals around their necks for their accomplishments on the mat.  Wrestlers placing were;

Austin Stanke (Soph.)- 1st Place

Matthew Collins (Sr.)- 2nd Place

Cole Graham (Fr.)- 2nd Place

Dyllen Gibbs (Sr.)- 3rd Place

Evan Mitchell (Sr.)- 3rd Place

Hunter Nitzsky (Jr.)- 3rd Place

Hughston Lockner (Soph.)- 3rd Place

Joe Armstrong (Fr.)-3rd Place 

Zach Davis (Soph.)- 5th Place 

The Blue Jays varsity wrestling team traveled to Rootstown High School to participate in the D3 OHSAA Sectional Tournament on Saturday the 24th of 2019. As a team the Blue Jays took 9th place out of 16 teams in the tournament.

Sophomore Austin Stanke finished in 3rd place in the 106 LB weight class and has advanced to next weeks OHSAA District tournament to be held at Garfield Heights High School. This tournament will take place on both Friday and Saturday next weekend and should he finish in the top 4 at this tournament he will advance to OHSAA State Tournament in Columbus, Ohio the following weekend.

3 Blue Jays earned 5th place in their weight class and are alternates for the District tournament. Should one of the top 4 players in their weight class get hurt or fail to make weight these individuals will get back into the state tournament.

Sophomore Hughston Lockner (113 LB)
Senior Jeremy Seka (132 LB)
Evan Mitchell (220 LB

The Jackson-Milton Wrestlers have been doing well this season, good luck to all the Blue Jay Wrestlers.