2018 Football Season highlights

Shane Davis

The Jackson-Milton Blue Jays start off the season slow at 0-4. Jays@ Chalker (7-10), Newton Falls vs Jays (33-22), Jays@ Windham (12-42), and Springfield vs Jays (48-0). The team has shown big flashes of improvement since. Friday 9/21 they play the Sebring Trojans, the Jays look to get their first win of the season.

Junior Football player Shane Davis, says, “We’re  starting out rough but I know and the team knows that we can get it done and we will be happy with the results Friday night.”

Senior player, Dyllen Gibbs was asked about his thoughts on the season, he replied, “Despite the slow start I know that were a good team and so do the coaches and players, were finish out this season strong.”

The Jackson-Milton Blue Jays improved their record to 2-5 over the past 3 weeks.

The Jays beat the Sebring Trojans at home, celebrating the 70th year JM football and cheerleading anniversary, by a whopping 47-0.

The following week the Jays traveled to McDonald to play the Blue Devils, where they were defeated 55-14.

The Jays bounced back when going to Waterloo High School and soundly shut out the Vikings 20-0.

They continue to do a good job running the ball and combined they rushed for over 200 yards against the Vikings. Jr. Running Back.

Ryan Staton had this to say, “We had a rough start to the year, losing some games we definitely should have won. However, the team has really come along throughout the year and we should see many wins in the coming weeks to end off the year.”

The Jackson-Milton Varsity Football team has had a three week winning streak. The streak started with the 20-0 win against Waterloo High School. The Blue Jays were on a roll with Senior Dyllen Gibbs on a 56 yard interception return in the second quarter. In the first quarter Sophomore Sean Lengyel with a 67 yard touchdown run.

The next week the Jays welcomed Lowellville High School for the Homecoming game. They came into the game filled with positive thoughts. They defeated Lowellville 33-0 with 5 interceptions and returned 2 of those for touchdowns.

Head coach Mr. Brode for the Blue Jays states, “I am very proud of our hard work we’ve been putting in each week at practice.”  He also states, “We will continue with the hard work as we approach our next game.”

The next week the Jays also welcomed Mineral Ridge for their senior night game. It was a very stressful game with the Jays defeating Ridge by one point. They honored four football seniors that night with running back Bryce Davis, linebacker Dyllen Gibbs, running back Jimmy Harper, and linebacker William Hawksley.

The Jays were up in the second quarter 7-6 with Jimmy Harper putting them into the lead before half time. After half-time Mineral Ridge came back on the field wanting to win they scored 6 points in third quarter without the Blue Jays scoring, which put Ridge in the lead. The Jays were fighting for the win they came back in the fourth quarter scoring a touchdown with putting them in the lead 13-12.

Junior Joey Keller said, “I am very proud of my team and what we are accomplishing this season.”

Another Junior Logan Firby stated, “We came along way this year looking for a spot in the playoffs.”

The Jays fell short in their final game against Western Reserve, but fought hard this season and JM is very proud of their team.