2018 Valedictorians and Salutatorian

Left to Right: Valedictorians Madde Hyland, Nicholas Kawecki, and Emily WIlliams

As the end of the 2017-2018 school year slowly starts coming to an end, the graduating seniors from the class of 2018 are counting down the days till they finally become alumni of Jackson-Milton. Within the class of 2018, there are four students who accomplished many successes within their high school career and three students proudly earned the honor of being one of the Valedictorians and one student who earned the honor of being the Salutatorian of the graduating class. The Valedictorians of the class of 2018 include: Madde Hyland, Nicholas Kawecki, and Emily Williams. The Salutatorian of the class of 2018 is Addie DeVite. The four students took time out of their busy schedules to answer a few questions about their great honor and their bright futures they have ahead of them after graduation.

The three valedictorians answered the following questions:

Q: How does it feel to be awarded valedictorian?

Madde Hyland: “I’m happy that my hard work paid off.”

Nicholas Kawecki: “While I have always had a good (-ish) grades, I was still surprised when I was told that I’d be valedictorian. But I am quite proud of myself.”

Emily Williams: “It feels like all my work has finally paid off.”

Q: What are your plans for after graduation?

Madde Hyland: “I plan to study biology and mathematics at Kenyon College.”

Nicholas Kawecki: “I’m set to attend Kent State University for Architecture this fall. I’m most looking forward to becoming a routesetter- that is, a person who creates the routes at rock climbing gyms. I may also pursue music and art in my free time.”

Emily Williams: “I plan to attend college and earn a degree in biochem/pre-med degree.”

Q: What was your favorite memory while attending Jackson-Milton?

Madde Hyland: “My favorite memory was becoming so close with the softball team.”

Nicholas Kawecki: “The band trip to Walt Disney World in 2016 was pretty rad. Mrs. Condon is also pretty rad in general.”

Emily Williams: “When Taylor ran into the gate.”

Q: What is one piece of advice you would give to underclassmen?

Madde Hyland: “Don’t slack off now because it makes it harder to do work in the future.”

Nicholas Kawecki: “Never judge anyone too quickly, wait for them to prove their character to you. Some of the people that I know, I would have never have met them had I listened to my assumptions.”

Emily Williams: “High school goes by quick.”

Q: What activities/clubs/sports did you participate in at Jackson-Milton?

Madde Hyland: “SOftball, Golf, Volleyball, Basketball, National Honors Society, Key Club, S.A.D.D., Camp Fitch Counselor, Board Game Club, Drama (backstage)”

Nicholas Kawecki: “Band (Concert, Marching, and Pep), Quiz Bowl, Drama CLub, Physics Olympics, Fishbowl Graphics, Table Tennis Club, Video Editing of JM E-blast”

Emily Williams: “Volleyball, Basketball, Track and Field, National Honors Society, Key Club, S.A.D.D.”

The following questions are answered by salutatorian Addie DeVite:

Q: How does it feel to be awarded Salutatorian?

Addie DeVite: “I honestly didn’t think I would even be awarded salutatorian because all of our grades dropped due to physics so I’m pretty happy.”

Addie DeVite: “I’m attending Youngstown State University to study Physical Therapy.”

Addie Devite: “Locking Mrs. Yantes out of her room.”

Addie DeVite: “Start working on your study habits now because it will payoff junior and senior year.”

Addie DeVite: “S.A.D.D., Key Club, National Honors Society, Camp Fitch Counselor, Cross Country, Track, Mahoning Valley Youth Leadership Program, Buckeye Girls’ State”