None 4 Under 21

Elk and Elk Ohio sponsors this eye opening event for teens

Anthony Eppendorfer

The junior class at Jackson-Milton went to Hiram College to learn about the effects of drinking and driving. The reasoning for them to attend this event is to prevent them from drinking and driving during prom. They were shown real life tragedies to show the students that it could happen to anybody and even in just a split second.

The speakers talk about how they have tragic experiences from their choices and actions while deciding to drink and drive. They are also taken down a line of heartbroken and devastated families holding pictures of their lost ones. This is real, it is not a mock scene, its reality. Every memory is real, every tear is real, this is to show the students that attend the event that these things are also very real, they are not to be taken lightly.

Students from Portage, Trumbull, Start, Geauga, and Summit County high schools attended the event, as they get off the bus they are faced with a scene of a mock crash that, field sobriety test, arrest scene and a view of two parents mourning at graveside. This experience is meant to be very touching and emotional but also very educational because of the severity of the situation.

Jackson-Milton cares about the students, and doesn’t want any bad decisions or negative outcomes made a reality for their families.  Students should use this event as a wake up call on what to do when put in a situation where not only their life is in danger, but everyone on the roads life as well.