JM Band attends Hubbard Band Festival

JM Band attends Hubbard Band Festival

Shane Davis

On March 6th 2018 the Jackson- Milton Band grades 7-12 went to the Hubbard Band Festival. The event was at Hubbard High School. This event involves the students performing several selections for three adjudicators that will provide them with written commentary of their performance.  Following the performance, the ensemble participated in a master class with Dr. Tad Greig, Director of Bands at Westminster College. This is the Blue Jays  fourth year participating in the festival, and the students have enjoyed and learned a lot from this great opportunity. Student and band member Brandon Strickland plays Trombone, says, “It was fun and we played “Skullduggery and “Rivanna March.”

There were 14 participating bands from Mahoning, Trumbull and Columbiana counties. Each band received one slot of 45 minutes to perform two to three songs for judges. The high school band played two pieces for a small audience of parents and college music professors. The students get feedback from a guest clinician, this year it was Tad Greig, who is director of instrumental activities at Westminster college. The clinician watches the bands’ performances and prepares feedback and a mini lesson plan to help the students who participate in the festival to become better.

When the Jackson-Milton band had finished their performances of “Rivanna River March” by Steve Hodges and “Skulduggery” by Gene Milford; Mr. Greig came up to the stage and worked with the students to help them fine tune some parts of the songs. Mr. Greig also was teaching the students some techniques to better their overall musical playing. The Jackson-Milton band also received reviews from the guest judges, which the Jackson-Milton band director Mr. Kittle was given upon the bands departure from the festival. Within the days after the performance Mr. Kittle read some of the comments to the band, which all  said that even with our small size that the band sounded wonderful with only a few mistakes to fix. The overall wonderful and helpful experience of the festival is what keeps the Jackson-Milton band returning each year.