Representative John Boccieri speaks at JM Veterans Day assembly

Representative John Boccieri addresses the students and members of the community at JMHS

Elizabeth Pifer, Staff Writer

Veterans Day is a national holiday where we honor those who have fought in our military. The Veterans Day program was on Friday, November 10, 2017. It began at 1:15 in the afternoon and was in the Jackson-Milton High School Cafeteria.  Mrs. Reyes is the lead organizer of this event and many other teachers assist in different ways.  Mr. Kittle prepares the band, Miss Amendolara creates a video, and Mrs. Yantes works with the speakers for the event.

During the program the guest speaker was OH Representative John Boccieri.  John Boccieri is a veteran, former U.S. congressman and state senator, who currently represents Ohio’s 59th House district in the state legislature, covering most of Mahoning County. 

Ashley Cameron read “The Pledge of Allegiance,” with everyone. Then “The Star Spangled Banner” was played by the Jackson-Milton band.

After the band played, a poem was read, “They did their share,” by Leona Stout. Leona said, “Speaking in the assembly is something i’m proud to have been apart of for the 2nd year. Getting a thank you from the state representative was super special. Free t-shirts were cool too.”

The band played a tune called “The Greatest Generation” and during the tune Austin Caroline read the text that went with it.

Sydney Miller-Snyder said, “The Veterans Day assembly helped open my eyes about the hardships and obstacles soldiers face every day of their service. I’ve also had the privilege of hearing a speech from John Boccieri.”

Mackenzie Martin talked about “The Noble and The Brave,” during the assembly. There was also a Patriotic Video Tribute, for the people who served in our military. Photos of the Veterans from J-M, staff, and students’ families.

Emily Williams read “Bless them Abundantly,” following the playing of taps by Mr. Derrick Kittle and junior student, Elena Jones.

To end the program the American Legion Post 737 retired the colors and there was an area for community members and veterans to enjoy refreshments.