Softball 2017

Eric Ostrowski, Staff Writer

The girls softball team is looking forward to a new season after having success last season. The girls finished strong last season after Sierra Pierce joined the team from Austintown Fitch last season after ten games.

Pierce helped the Blue Jays reach the district semifinals by smashing a record 8 home runs in 8 straight games. They lost in the district semifinal game to Lisbon and have been looking forward to this season ever since.

The girls are returning 4 senior starters with a lot of experience: Sierra Pierce, Maggie Garland, Katie Rago, and Jenna Seka. Other starters are returning too, including Brooklyn Gallant, Madde Hyland, Korie Gross and Jordon Stratton. A few freshmen have been added to the lineup as well. They will be looked at to step up and make an impact.

The softball team has posted a record of 9-8. They have been playing solid but they are still looking to improve in some areas. Defense has been a weakness for the team and they will need to improve it for the upcoming tournament. Sierra Pierce has been shining for the Blue Jays. She threw a no-hitter a few weeks ago and was up for JJHuddle Player of the Week in Ohio. She also has hit two grand slams.

The other players have been hitting as well. The line-up is getting hot at the right time. They have received the 4 seed in their district tournament.

The softball team is now 9-9 on the season and opens up tournament play today versus Saint Thomas Aquinas at home at 4:30. If they win today, they will advance to the district semifinals for the second straight year. The softball team also plays Western Reserve this Thursday. This game will be their Tiffany Obradovich Cancer Charity game. All funds raised from the game will go towards helping a child who is battling cancer buy a wig.
Sierra Pierce has hit another milestone this season. She currently has a 28 game hitting streak and she will look to continue that tonight. She will be attending the University of Maryland, Baltimore County to continue her softball career.