Mr. Assion is a Class Act!

Michael Spencer, Staff Writer

At Jackson-Milton Middle School/High School, middle school teacher Mark Assion won the Class Act Award recently. As part of an ongoing effort to promote education in our Valley, WFMJ Today profiles outstanding teachers in their weekly segment, Dunkin’ Donuts Class Act.  Students, parents or colleagues can nominate teachers by completing the nomination form provided on their page.  The nomination form has additional requirements. According to the contest, “ If your nominee is selected, we will surprise them at school with their award.  The Dunkin’ Donuts Class Act segment airs Wednesday mornings on WFMJ Today during the 6:00-7:00 a.m. hour.”

Mr. Assion said, “I was completely shocked, I didn’t even know I was in the running for the award.” Mr. Assion is a middle school math teacher and has always been liked by his students. Mr. Assion is also the varsity football coach outside of the classroom and is also respected by the kids who play on his team. He is known for having a great sense of humor with the kids inside and outside of the classroom.

One of his students said, “He actually makes math fun to learn!”

Mr. Assion said the award was an honor, “It’s nice to be acknowledged.”

He also added that his own mother had won the award nearly 25 years ago and helped vote for him to win the award, along with many past students that he had.

Mr. Assion is well liked in the Jackson-Milton community because of his personality and the way he is arounds kids. Assion has a very good relationship with his students and his players because he teachers what he knows in a fun way and treats every student equally.

Assion says he will continue to teach the way he does because he prepares the kids for higher level math and makes them want to learn more. Assion also added that students respond well to him because, “I love the kids, and that’s why I believe they like me back.”

Congratulations Mr. Assion!