What students should know about school safety procedures

Jeffrey Luther, Staff Writer

Fire and Tornado Drill–  Fire and tornado drills are required by law and are an important to safety. when the first signal is given, everyone obeys and clears the building as quickly as possible. The teacher in each classroom will give the students instructions. Students are not permitted to talk during a drill and are to remain at least 50 feet away from the building until the signal is given to re-enter. In case of a tornado drill, students will go to their assigned areas in front of the lockers.

After interviewing Officer Sosnosky about what a student should do in certain situations or in any lockdown procedure he said the following about each lockdown:

Lockdown (intruder inside)- “A student should do whatever means is necessary, to protect him or herself and others. WHATEVER MEANS NECESSARY. If a student is outside of their classroom and an intruder is spotted they should make noise and notify an employee or any official around them. Notification is one of the most important things, it is also the hardest part of an intruder alert.”

Lockdown (intruder outside)–  “Very simple, stay indoors, keep away from windows, and let police respond appropriately. If you see an intruder when in lockdown you need to gather any  information that you can on him while still being safe. Examples of this can include:  the clothing worn,  if he’s carrying anything, and what direction he is going.”
K9 lockdown– Classes continue and the same as the intruder outside drill.