Jackson-Milton offers College Credit Plus courses

Jeffrey Luther, Staff Writer

At Jackson-Milton, we offer special classes for high-school students who have high enough grades and that also want to get ahead of their college careers. These classes are called CCP which stands for College Credit Plus, what this is, is in high school you can get college credits so you can get out of college faster and be in less debt by the end of your schooling. Jackson-Milton currently has 6 CCP classes, Psychology, Sociology, Government, Biology, Literature, and lastly Writing. If you were to take all of these classes you could possibly have your first year of college done.

In the CCP Government class you would be studying the nature and structure of the American government, including an overview of the federal, state, county, and the municipal systems.  

In the CCP Writing classes you will be focusing on your writing skills and it introduces basic research skills. You will learn many strategies for drafting, revising and editing, students will produce several papers by the end of the year. This class will give you 3 credit hours that go towards most colleges.

In the CCP Biology, you go over topics like the chemical and physical foundations of life, structure and function of cells, cellular organelles, bioenergetics, metabolism, photosynthesis, biosynthesis, cell division and growth, information coding and transfer, and basic Mendelian and population genetics. When taking this class you need to keep your lab notebook because it is a whole credit hour by itself.

Lastly, there is General Psychology.  In this class you will cover the foundations of human consciousness, senses, learning, memory, thinking, intelligence, development, and psychological disorders/treatment. You will also learn about the people who have discovered and have helped with the study of psychology.

CCP courses offer students the opportunity to advance their education.