NHS inducts new members and elects new officers

Adam Smith, Staff Writer

On Wednesday March 9th 2016, Jackson-Milton held its annual Nation Honors Society meeting to induct the junior class electees officially. The current senior class had four inductees the previous year – Adriana Italiano, Tom Deak, Olivia Wolfe and Adam Smith. Since there are only four officer positions, each inductee last year received an officer position. However at this induction meeting, there were a larger number of new inductees into the society.

The new senior inductees include the following: Anthony Italiano, Noah Karch, Courtney Machphee, Marty McKinney, Cheyenne Morrow, Mackenzie Sanders, Steven Yuhasz. These seniors are officially a part of the society, but they cannot be elected for the officer positions.

The new Junior inductees include the following: Maggie Garland, Sierra Huff, Jesusita Linger, Journey Morris, Eric Ostrowski, Sierra Pierce, Katie Rago, Ashley Totani, Kaitlyn Totani, Tiffany Voland, Aleesa Whitney. These are the new members of the junior class.

The Induction Ceremony’s purpose is to recognize the new inductees and also elect the new officer positions. The end of the ceremony involves the lighting of candles, each one having a different meaning. Once all candles are lit, the senior officers give the candle to the new elected juniors to the position. Katie Rago received the president’s position, Tiffany Voland received the vice president’s position, Jesusita Linger received secretary position and Ashley Totani received treasurer’s position. At the very end, the candles are blown out, then drinks and cookies are enjoyed by the students and family.