Fall athletes earn awards for their hard work and dedication

Cheyenne Morrow, Staff Writer

The High School Fall 2015 Sports Banquet took place on Thursday November 12, 2015 in the cafeteria at Jackson-Milton High School. The fall sports teams attended and were awarded for their accomplishments throughout the season. Teams that attended consisted of football, cheerleading, volleyball, boys golf, girls golf, soccer, and cross country.

Each sport had their individual awards that were decided on by that team. Joe Burnside, Mike Assion, and Anthony Italiano were also recognized for their record-breaking accomplishments. Joe Burnside set a record for back to back 1,000 yards rushing, Mike Assion set a record for 40 career starts and over 5,500 yards total offense, and Anthony Italiano set a record for career tackle and sack leader. Along with these records, numerous football players received awards that focused on their individual talents throughout the 2015 football season. Joe Burnside and Noah Laster received the offensive skill award, Anthony Italiano received the defensive skill award, and Steven Yuhasz received the lineman award.

Volleyball awards were given out as well. Ashley Cameron received the most improved award, Amy Ritchie received the most improved award and the captain award, and Taylor Sahli received the Coach’s Award along with Katelyn Totaini. Sierra Huff received the leader in kills award, leader in blocks award, and captain award. Julissa Tomaino received the top server award and captain award. Ashley Totani received the defensive player award and Hailey Lengyel received the Don Patton Blue Jay award.

The two senior boy golfers, Nick Householder and Chance Proverbs, also were awarded for their accomplishments. Nick Householder received the lowest average award and the captain award, while Chance Proverbs received the glue award and the captain award.

Two girls on the golf team received awards. These girls were Brooklyn Gallant and Madde Hyland. They both received the lowest average award.

The soccer team was given five individual awards total, varying from the golden boot award to captain awards. Kobie Southwick was awarded the coaches award, Tanner Balsinger was awarded one of two captains awards, and Travis Tikkanean received the MVP award. Senior Sam Metts received two awards, the captain award and the Golden Boot award.

Members of the cross country team received special awards regarding personal improvements and personal records that they set over the season. For the boys cross country team: Devan Christoff, Andrew Rosenburger, Mikey Zayas, and Jacob Cline received awards. Devan Christoff received the MVP award, Andrew Rosenburger and Mikey Zayas received the most improved award, and Jacob Cline received the captains plaque. For the girls cross country team: Michaelina Terranova, Katie Matasy, Heather Kirk, and Olivia Wolfe received awards. Michaelina Terranova received the MVP award, Katie Matasy received the most improved award, Heather Kirk received the coach’s award, and senior Olivia Wolfe received the captain’s plaque.

This year, Adam Smith was the recipient of the Ed Milo award. According to Ed Milo, “The recipient of the Ed Milo Award shall excel in leadership and athletic skill. He will be a man of character, a team player, and one who earns the respect of his teammates by example both on and off the field.” Adam Smith was found to be the person that fit this definition the best. When he was asked how he felt when receiving the Ed Milo award he responded, “I got really excited and nervous. Everything I thought about saying left my brain. I was just so happy and grateful that everything I have worked for has not gone unnoticed. I was just so unbelievably happy!”

The fall sports banquet was a great turnout and the school would like to thank all the athletes, family members, and friends for coming out and acknowledging all the great accomplishments of Jackson-Milton’s 2015 fall student athletes!