Lady Jays Volleyball Season 2021

Alex Schiavi

The Lady Jays volleyball team opened the season and league play against the Lady Rams of Mineral Ridge.  It was a boxing match, with each team putting up big hits and blocks in the first set, the Lady Jays fell short in game one 23-25, set two continued the battle between the Rams and Jays, the Lady Jays come out on top in this set going extra points 27-25, set three had a slow start by the Lady Jays that put them in the hole, but battled back, but could not overcome the slow start losing set three 25-13.  Set four had the Lady Jays regrouped and refocused taking the set 25-23.  In the decisive fifth set, the Lady Jays with the serve soared out to a strong early lead that they never gave and won the set 15-9.  Taking the win 3-2. Leading Scorer and Kills was Kylie Wilson, leading the way in digs was Chloe Gaston, leading Assists was Paige Grope, leading Blocks was Mia Greco.

After a tough loss to cross rival Western Reserve, the Lady Jays took down the Lady Tigers of Springfield in five sets. Leading in the serving was Chloe Gaston with 21 points and 1 ace, Mia Greco with 17 points and 3 aces. Mia Greco also recorded 10 kills, along with Emily Fultz with 10 kills. Mia Greco put up 3 solo blocks on the night. Chelsea Williams led in the assists category with 15.

Following a loss to McDonald, the Lady Jays returned to the comfort of home for the rescheduled match against East Canton. The Lady Jays use that home comfort to take down the Hornets three sets to none. Leading the Lady Jays in serving was Mia Greco with 25 points and 3 aces, Paige Grope 23 points and 6 aces. Paige had 11 assists on the night. In the hitting department Kara Costello had 8 kills on 15 attempts, Ava Darnley 4 Kills on 8 attack attempts.

The Lady Jays returned to action at Waterloo. After the Lady Jays killer win vs East Canton, they traveled to Waterloo and took care of business, winning in three sets creating a 2 game win streak. A host of young Jays got much deserved playing time. Leading the Jays in points tonight in another outstanding service game was Paige Grope with 22 points and 7 aces. Paige chipped in 14 assists. Kylie Wilson had 7 points, 5 kills on 12 attempts, Chelsea Williams added 6 kills on 13 attempts. For the 3rd game in a row, The Lady Jays downed their opponent, the Lady Rockets of Lowellville, in three straight sets by the scores of 25-20, 25-21, 25-17. Winning 3-0. Freshman Grace Johns got her 1st varsity start at Libero tonight and had a double double in serving 13 points with 2 aces, and 12 Digs.. Emily Fultz was on fire on the service line scoring 18 points and 7 aces. Kylie Wilson had a career high 13 kills. Mia Greco had strong play at the net adding 7 kills and 4 blocks. Paige Grope recorded 20 assists on 49 attempts.

After their 3 game win streak was snapped by Labrae,  The Lady Jay’s traveled to tiger country to take on Newton Falls in a non-conference game. The Lady Jays were led by Mia Greco with 14 kills, Emily Fultz added 14 Kills and 11 service points. Paige Grope had 24 assists , 14 points at the service line with 2 aces. Kara Costello had strong net play tonight with 5 solo blocks. On September 23, the Lady Jays traveled to New Middletown and beat the Lady Tigers of Springfield in 5 sets. Mia Greco led the way for the Blue Jays finishing with 14 kills. Chelsea Williams finished the night with 18 assists, 7 kills, and 5 blocks. Chole Gaston recorded 19 service points with 3 aces. The Lady Blue Jays are currently 7-4 after the first half of the season. 

Second half of Season

The Lady Jays started the second half of their season by traveling to Red Dragon county and lost 3 sets to 2. The Lady Jays were led by Kylie Wilson with 8 kills. Mia Greco had 6 solo blocks, 8 kills, and recorded 25 service points with 3 aces. Paige Grope had 15 assists on the night.

The Lady Jays returned to conference play the following night at Sebring getting the job done with an early night winning 3 sets to none. Leading stats leaders for the matches were Kara Costello with 10 kills. Mia Greco with 9 Kills. Chelsea Williams had 11 assists. Paige Grope also had 11 assists, with 15 service points and 2 aces. Grace Johns also had 15 service points and 3 aces. Kylie Wilson 20 service points and 2 aces.

After a dominating game at Sebring, the Lady Jays rallied after losing the first set to win the next three sets to beat Ursuline. The Lady Jays rallied using strong team defense and long rallies to wear down the Lady Irish. The Lady Jays were led in Kills by Mia Greco with 16, Kylie Wilson added 10 kills along with 20 service points and aces. Emily Fultz had 19 service points with 3 aces. Chelsea Williams had 20 assists on the night. Freshman Libero Grace Johns had 16 digs.

In a big conference match up after a very jammed back week of games, the Lady Jays came up with a big revenge win over McDonald 3 sets to 1. The Lady Jays were led by a very dominant net performance by Mia Greco with 14 kills, 8 blocks, 5 digs, and 18 service points. Emily Fultz had 15 kills. Paige Grope had 24 assists. The up and coming Freshman Grace Johns had another great performance at Libero with 34 digs, 19 service points and 5 aces.

The Lady Lions of Heartland Christian clawed back after losing the first set to down the Lady Jays in the next three sets, to win 3 sets to one. Leading stat leaders were Grace Johns with 19 digs, 25 service points and 4 aces. Paige Grope had 10 assists. Mia Greco had 6 kills on the night.

After a tough loss at the hands of Heartland Christian, the Lady Jays got back on track with a conference win over the Lady Vikings of Waterloo improving their record to 11-6. Mia Greco was a dominant force again with 7 kills, 4 solo blocks, 15 serving points with 4 aces. Kara Costello added 6 kills and two blocks. Paige Grope had double-double on the night with 10 assists and 11 points and two aces. Grace Johns had 10 digs on the night. The Lady Jays took down the Rockets in straight sets on October 6th. Lead scorer for the Jays was Grace Johns with 20 serving points and 5 aces. Paige Grope 15 serving points and 3 aces. Kylie Wilson had 7 Kills. Kara Costello added 4 blocks. The Lady Jays finished at home conference play with a three set sweep over Sebring. Leading scorer was Kylie Wilson with 15 serving points with 2 aces, Paige Grope added 12 serving points and one ace. Kylie Wilson also led in Kills with 8, Emily Fultz added 7 kills. Mia Greco was a wall with 6 blocks. Grace Johns recorded 8 digs on the night.

In the last night of conference play the Lady Jays fell in three straight hard fought sets to the Lady Rams. With the loss the Lady Jays tied Ridge for third place in the conference. The Jays were led by leading scorer Chelsea Williams with 10 points and 15 assists. Paige Grope had 9 points and one ace. Mia Greco had 8 kills and 9 solo blocks. Kara Costello had 4 solo blocks and 6 kills. On the night we honored our seven seniors, we were able to give them a victory to remember. The Lady Jays were led by senior Kylie Wilson serving 20pts with 4 aces, senior Chelsea Williams had 16 assists, and senior Kara Costello had 11 kills. Mia Greco had 18 serving points with 3 aces, Mia also added 11 kills. Grace Johns had 18 digs. The Lady Jays ended the regular season 15-7, MVAC 10-4 tied for 3rd. The Lady Jays enter tournament play Saturday the 23rd  to play the winner of Columbiana and Lordstown.

Tournament 

The Lady Jays became section champions with the upset win over the #5 seeded Lady Clippers of Columbiana. The Lady Jays moved on to play in the Lisbon district semifinals on Wednesday the 27th against Southern Local at 7:30. In the win leading in stats for the Lady Jay was Mia Greco 11 kills on 30 attempts, 2 blocks, 1 ace Kailee Davis 11 kills on 35 attempts, 8 digs Kylie Wilson 10 kills on 34 attempts, 3 aces, 4 digs Paige Grope 6 kills on 14 attempts, 22 assists, 18 digs, 1 ace Grace Johns 4 aces, 19 digs. The Lady Jays swept Southern Local in three straight sets and soared into the Lisbon District Finals on Saturday October 30 at 1pm versus Wellsville. With great team defense and a strong attack game the Lady Jays gave the Lady Indians something they could not answer. Leading server tonight was Grace Johns who had 7 ace on 19 attempts, in game two she had 4 straight aces. She had 17 digs on the night too. Leading the attacking was Kylie Wilson with 15 kills on 33 attempts, she also added 3 aces from the serving line. Kailee Davis added 9 kills on 23 attempts and 7 digs. Chelsea Williams had 7 kills on 16 attempts, 16 assists, 4 block assists and 9 digs. Paige Grope added 14 assists and 7 digs. Mia Greco was top blocker with 2 solo and 5 assisted blocks. The Lady jays ended their regular season with a record of 15-7, and an overall record of 17-8 falling short in the district finals to the Lady Tigers of Wellsville.

Congratulations to these Lady Jays who received all-star awards in the Scarlet Division of the MVAC for volleyball.

1st Team
Mia Greco – Junior -Middle Hitter

Paige Grope – Junior- Setter

2nd Team

Kylie Wilson – Senior – Outside Hitter

Emily Fultz – Junior – Outside Hitter

Honorable Mention
Grace Johns – Freshman – Libero