Wrestling Season Preview 2017-18

Emily Williams and Shane Davis, Staff Writer

This wrestling season is looking to be an exciting year, especially with so many returning wrestlers along with many underclassmen joining the team.  Wrestling is one of Jackson-Milton’s most competitive sports and has a long history of success.  

The coaches of the high school wrestling program are Brian Weidenthal, Ed Staton, Alex Franco, and Tyler Jeffries.  With such an exciting season last year, the coaches are hopeful to accomplish even more.  

Last season Nick Scarl, Anthony Pizzuto, Jeremy Seka, and Ryan Staton all made it to districts and are hoping to go even further this season.  With all four of these upperclassmen returning, the team is looking forward to an exciting year.  Nick Scarl and Ryan Staton were both injured during football season but are hoping to be back sometime this season.  

With many underclassmen joining this year, the team has expanded which is great for the Jackson-Milton program.  The first meet to start off the season is on December 1st at Solon High School for the Solon Comet Classic Tournament.  The team is geared up for this tournament and are practicing hard to prepare for it.  

Coach Tyler Jeffries remarked on the upcoming season when he said, “We have high expectations for the upcoming season especially having all four of our district qualifiers returning this year. I cannot wait for the season to start and to see what this year has in store.”

The team has always been outstanding and great program. This season should be another great season for the boys. With most setting their goals high and working hard, hoping that they will place in the top 4 of their bracket at OHSAA in February. 

Sophomore wrestler Ryan Staton said, “We got a lot of young guys, looking forward to a great year and begin right where we left off”.

Head coach Brian Weidenthal expects another great season, “We’re facing our challenges and we see how the boys respond, we have 8 freshmen and they are learning the technique and getting better everyday,” said Weidenthal.

This season should be another one to remember.  Good luck to our Wrestling Jays!