New Barbie improves self-esteem of young girls

Samantha Metts, Staff Writer

Ruth Handler was inspired by her young daughter Barbara as she watched her play with paper dolls. Barbara and her friends would use the paper dolls to play make believe adult or teenage college students, cheerleaders or as an adult with a career. Several years later Ruth and Elliot Handler introduced Barbie to many different toy buyers at the Toy Fiar in New York City on March 9th, 1959. The average wage was $5,000 dollars for the number one Pony tail Barbie which sold for only $3 dollars. In the very first year 300,000 Barbie dolls were sold.

The design for the Barbie doll was to have high arched eye brows, pursed red lips, a sassy pony tail with curly bangs, with ivory color skin and long slim legs. The majority of the Barbie dolls hair colors at this point in time were only blonde and brunette. In the 1960’s now has gotten a new hair color for the most popular hair color which was a “Titian Red.” (This is an orange brown color).

In the 2000’s the Barbie doll has taken over time with the all new celebrity power couples, more of an athletic tone with a bendable, flexible waist and the first belly button to appear on a Barbie doll. Also at this point was in 2009 the latest Barbie toy was Barbie’s Malibu Dream House which helped celebrate her 50th anniversary in style.

Now in 2016 the new latest talk is the new Barbie style with different skin colors, height, and even new curves. The reason why the Barbie industry wanted to come out with these new Barbie doll designs is because they wanted girls around the world to all feel the same way…beautiful.

Company spokesperson Michelle Chidoni explained that the new dolls will be “a better reflection of what girls see in the world around them.” Not only will they better represent the diversity seen in real women, they may also help girls develop a more realistic body image.

Says Evelyn Mazzocco, Senior Vice President at Mattel, “We believe we have a responsibility to girls and parents to reflect a broader view of beauty.”