Should Netflix be “surgically removed” for student success?

Courtney Macphee, Staff Writer

Netflix is an uprising new app that a lot of teens use on a daily basis. Netflix has become extremely popular over the past year and teens have been known to “binge watch” popular shows. For many of you that don’t already know, to “binge watch” means to start a series and to watch multiple episodes one after the other for a long period of time. This usually happens in one sitting.

Many teens have raved over the show Greys Anatomy, from Mcdreamy to the cliffhangers the show leaves you with, this show is one that is hard to stop watching. Many students watch Netflix on their phones or laptops at school. This effects student success because instead of taking those science notes over stuff that’s going to be on an upcoming test, students would rather watch another episode and stay tuned into the drama of the show.

This is not just a problem at school, but at home as well. So, you have an essay due tomorrow and you haven’t started? Instead of starting it, students will just watch another episode or start that new series that they’re friends won’t stop talking about.

Samantha Metts says, “Netflix is a really difficult distraction for me but I know when to do my school work and get done with it so I can get back to the series I’ve been watching, Prison Break.”

This is a reoccurring problem amongst most students all over. Netflix is an extremely great app to have. Who wouldn’t love the selection of movies and tv-series without commercials for just $9.99 a month? But, students need to learn how to balance their homework and school work with their binge-watching.