Seniors join the Camp Fitch Bunch

Cheyenne Morrow, Staff Writer

camp fitch

Every year for the past fourteen years, the fifth grade class at Jackson-Milton Elementary School goes on a field trip to Camp Fitch. For this event, there are several boy and girl senior students that attend Camp Fitch and act as counselors for the fifth grade students. Cheyenne Morrow, Courtney Macphee, Sam Metts, Bridget Welsch, Hannah Rossi, and Alayna Wofton were the senior girls that attended. Steven Yuhasz, Noah Karch, Mike Assion, Adam Smith, Tom Deak and Marty Mckinney were the senior boys that attended. Along with the seniors, Officer Sosnosky, Mr. Rotuna, Mrs. Rothbauer, Mrs. Braddock,  and Mrs. Fisk attended as well.

The fifth graders, the seniors, and the teachers left from the elementary school around 9:30 in the morning on January 20, 2016 and returned around 2:00 on January 22, 2016. The seniors were broken up into four groups consisting of three students each. Each group had around 9-14 kids to watch after. While they were at Camp Fitch they partook in multiple activities such as orienteering, archery, challenge course, reptiles and amphibians, and crafts. These activities helped the fifth graders understand the everyday lives of Indians that previously lived on that land as well as learn teamwork and camping tips. The fifth graders also got the opportunity to participate in fun activities during option time such as tubing, horse grooming, a beach walk, and archery.

Following dinner, there was a game that would be played involving the fifth graders, the senior counselors, and the teachers. The winner of these games would get their snack first. After each group would finish their snacks, it was time to go to the cabins and get ready for bed. On the last night, the staff at Camp Fitch taught everybody songs so they would forever remember their time at Camp Fitch. The skills and activities experienced by both the children and counselors are definitely ones to last a lifetime.