Jackson-Milton Dress Code: What not to wear

Courtney Macphee, Staff Writer

The Jackson-Milton Dress Code is one that is put in effect for not only the student’s safety but for an overall well-being of the Jackson-Milton School District. Students must recognize that brief and/or revealing clothing is not appropriate apparel in school. The following guidelines on clothing are examples and do not cover all situations. Students shall not wear tank tops, halter tops, garments with spaghetti straps, or strapless garments. Garments that are “see-through”, cut low, or expose one’s midriff are not acceptable. Sleeveless garments must extend to the end of the shoulder and fit closely under the arms. Skirts and shorts must not be shorter than 4 inches above the knee.

Shorts may be worn from April 1 through October 31. Students shall not wear shorts or pants that, when fastened, sag or fit below the waist. Regardless of whether or not skin is showing, holes of any kind or size are not permitted. Students are not permitted to wear pajama bottoms, pajama bottom style pants. All pants must fit around the waist and be properly fastened; the waist is defined as the area between the bottom of the rib cage and the top of the hip bone. Wearing bottoms which expose skin or undergarments or wearing oversized/draping baggy style pants to create a “sag” look is strictly prohibited. Spandex, cycling shorts, swim suits are not permitted. Undergarments must not be visible.

Students shall not wear clothing items that contain messages that are vulgar, offensive, obscene, or libelous; that denigrate others on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, or disability; that promote alcohol or drug use, cigarettes, or violence; or that are otherwise contrary to the school’s educational mission. No hats of any type, visors, or bandanas shall be worn inside the school building accept for medical or religious purpose. No facial jewelry, with exception of that worn on the ears will be permitted.

Hair color, including highlights, must be within the spectrum of color that hair grows naturally such as shades of blonde, black, auburn/red and brunette. Hair must not be worn covering the eyes or in a way which otherwise obstructs the natural vision from student or staff members. Mohawks, long spikes and other extreme hair styles which are disruptive/ distracting to the educational process or pose a safety hazard are not permitted.

During the winter months, when students wear boots to school, be sure to bring shoes to be worn during the school days. Sandals may be worn from April 1st through October 31st, but may not be worn in gym, industrial arts or lab classes. Shoes with wheels (“heelies”) are strictly prohibited. Accessories like wallets with chains, spiked jewelry, or any item or garment which poses a safety risk are prohibited.

If students choose not to abide by these rules further consequences will be taken. The 1st Offense is a warning and or parental notification, the 2nd Offense is a written detention that a student must serve after school, and the 3rd Offense and beyond requires ISS. All dress code violations will be rectified immediately. A student may be placed in ISS at the discretion of the administrator if the problem cannot be immediately rectified. Final decisions on appropriate and inappropriate dress will be determined by the principal.