SADD walks for Suicide Prevention at Mill Creek Park

Terry Stockton, Staff Writer

Jackson-Milton High School SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions) participated in the Suicide Prevention Walk to raise awareness.  This is the second year that advisers, Mrs. Morelli and Mrs. Reyes, have taken their group.  They were accompanied my members and several parents.  It opened with several survivors sharing their stories followed by a release of doves at the Wick Park Recreation are starting point.  Snacks were provided, beads were given to represent how suicide has affected each participant, and shirts could be earned through a donation process.

The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention wanted to raise awareness for their cause, so they decided to host three to five mile walks all throughout the country to help spread awareness. One specific region the organization targeted was northeast Ohio, where they hosted three walks. One of these walks was hosted in Youngstown, Ohio. On October 10th, the AFSP hosted a walk in Mill Creek Park at the Wick Recreational Area. The turnout for this event was a huge success; about 450 people participated in the event. Those who participated in this walk helped raise the awareness this organization believes is needed in order to benefit the prevention of suicide.

The AFSP’s goal was to receive $12,000 in donations to help their cause. The total earnings exceeded the goal by over $8,000, earning $20,546. The money earned through donations is invested towards new research, creating educational programs, advocating for public policies, and supporting survivors of suicide loss. Donations for the walk will be accepted through December 31, 2015. The AFSP’s next goal is to reduce the annual suicide rate by 20% by 2025.