E Sports brings new adventure to JM

eSports offers a chance for even more students to be part of a team, have fun, and compete against other schools.

In their first year of existence, the Jackson-Milton eSports team led by head coach Derek Joy is off and running with a loaded roster of dedicated gamers. That roster includes: Ben Moore, Chase Hutcheson, Ian Stewart, Landon Hahn, Carter Newhard, Nick Kuiper, Keagan Beck, Brayen Noble, Joe Calabria, and Gage Smallwood. The team practices 3 times a week playing 3 different video games which include Overwatch, Super Smash Bros, and Valorant. The players look forward to playing because it’s another sport to do outside of their traditional activities. In addition, the players work their hardest when playing because, nowadays, most universities offer scholarships for eSports. On Tuesday, March 15th the team defeated Wooster High School in Overwatch dominating from start to finish. Coach Joy was pleased with how his team competed and worked together to take down the Generals of Wooster. All in all, the ultimate goal coach wants to achieve for his team and their season is to form a bond, compete, and have fun along the way.

The eSports class allows students at JM to have experiences and opportunities not normally afforded to them in traditional classrooms. Students play games and implement strategies in tactical games that help them develop decision-making skills along with building comradery with their classmates. Students play popular video games and learn the ropes while building confidence in their abilities. It tests both dexterity and mental skills. New experiences are presented for many students who have to rise to the challenge.