Key Club teaches the benefits of community service

Shane Davis

This year Key Club has an outstanding 50-60 students participating at JM. Mrs. Russo is the leader of Key Club at Jackson-Milton and has been for in charge for 9 years. She was asked why Key Club is so important to her, in which she replied, “It is the oldest and largest student led community service organization for high school students, it gives each student at JM the chance to build leadership skills and participate in the helping of the community.”  She also added, “My favorite part of Key Club is you get to be involved in the community and get to teach the kids about leadership and character.”

Key Club is currently hosting a Toy Drive for Christmas and toys can be brought in to JM and donated until December 10.

Key Club is in 38 countries across the world and on more than 5,000 high school campuses. That’s about 270,000 members in the club. Bill Clinton, Elvis Presley and Tom Cruise were all part of the club. Key Club is an organization that teaches students about leadership and helping others. Their mission is to provide members with opportunities to perform service, build character and develop leadership.

Key Club values leadership, character building, caring and inclusiveness. The vision they have is caring and competent servant leaders transforming leaders worldwide. Key Club goes by a motto of “Caring— Our way of life.” They also have a pledge which states, “I pledge, on my honor, to uphold the objects of key club international; to build my home, school and community; to serve my nation and god; and to combat all forces which tend to undermine these institutions.”

Key Club has an estimated 13.5 million hours of service to homes, schools and communities every year.