Lady Jays Volleyball 2019: Bump, set, spike

Jackson-Milton smashed the Lowellville Rockets in a 3-0 match with a final score of 25-9  as they moved through their season. Junior Varsity following with a win of 2-0 and a final score of 25-6. The freshman won their first game Wednesday September 11th after playing alongside Junior Varsity for most of the season. They  beat Leetonia 2-1 and a score of 25-14. The Lady Jays have lived up to their name by winning 85% of their games this season.

The varsity has a huge help from none other than the freshman class. Many freshmen this year have played all the way up in varsity.

“It’s a real opportunity to get a taste of real volleyball,” says Freshman Emily Fultz, “ It’s very nerve-racking but when I’m on the court with the upperclassmen supporting me like I am a senior it all just feels really good”

Emily scored three aces yesterday with her jump serve and smashed three more points from her kills. She plays along with Mia Greco and Paige Grope.

“ It was a real surprise but it was a very good one,” says coach Craig.

With the players record this season the outcome of tournaments seems quite promising with high confidence from both the coaches and players the energy is high as the players prepare for the second half of the season.

“We really want to win districts,” says Bailey Estes, a Senior starter,  “ We’re getting ready, we’re pretty good but we need to work on stuff to be the best.” 

The coaches are just as optimistic, “I think it will be very competitive in the league,” Coach Craig said.

The Lady Jays continue to win and push through their season.

The Lady Jays are also coached by Sue Prozy.

The Lady Jays came out strong in the beginning of the season and haven’t stopped since. One of the many amazing wins for the Lady Jays was against Western Reserve on September 22nd. It was a battle to the end with the Lady Jays coming out on top.

The Lady Jays lost the first game to the Blue Devils then fought and won the next two games pushing a fourth game. It all came down to the fifth game between the two amazing teams. The scores were tied most of the time and went back and forth a lot.

Megan Fultz, a senior this year for the team says, “ Being a part of this team is very special to me, I grew up with this group of girls and have been waiting to play together since then, that night was one to remember we brought our game and played it. We all wanted it just as bad and made it happen.”

The Lady Jays have a very close group of girls that all love the game of volleyball, and of course winning a rivalry game was a big accomplishment for them.

Coach Prozy said, “ The game was very exciting to watch and coach, there was a lot of top scorers tonight and everyone worked together and played great, it was a monster win.”

This team is made up of a great group of girls. They play every game with their hearts on the court and they don’t stop until it’s over. 

On Monday September 23rd The Blue Jays took on Lordstown at home and had a clean sweep over them. They won the series 3-0 winning 25-12, 25-10, 25-14. The next day The Lady Jays played Springfield at home but fell to the Tigers 3-1 after playing long, hard fought games.

On Thursday the 26th, The Lady Jays looked to bounce back from a tough loss to the Tigers against Sebring. They had a clean sleep winning 3-0 in the series after dominating The Trojans.

Monday September 30th the Lady Jays had the Monday blues against the Waterloo Vikings getting swept in the series 3-0 in three nail biting games in Waterloo. After, having the Monday blues the Lady Jays took on the McDonald Blue Devils on the road Tuesday. The Lady Jays had a huge bounce back series and win 3-0 over the Blue Devils.

The next day, The Lady Jays took on Cardinal Mooney at home and took a tough loss losing the series 3-1 after 4 hard fought games and 3 games in a row this week.

After 6 days without a game for the Lady Jays, they took on the Lowellville Rockets at home on Monday, October 8th and won with ease… sweeping the Lady Rockets 3-0. Tuesday, after coming off a nice win against the Rockets the Lady Jays took on Lisbon at home on senior night. The  seniors look to leave everything out on the floor as it is their last home game as a Blue Jay.

“We have a very talented group of seniors,” Julia Bogden said, when asked about her thoughts on this senior class.

Well, on senior night this talented group showed what they were made of and beat Lisbon 3-1 in their final home game. After an impressive win over Lisbon the Lady Jays traveled to Wellsville to take on the Tigers. The Lady Jays took a tough loss 3-0 after a long week of games to wrap up the regular season.

“I think we can go on to do wonderful things as long as we work as a team and play hard” said, Julia Bogden after being asked about the season and tournament game coming up.