JM State test dates and advice for success

Nicholas Dolak

It’s almost that time again, every year in April we have to take our Ohio State Tests, commonly known as the AIR test. This year testing dates are April 1, 2, 5, 8, 11, 12, 15, and 16.  Depending on a student’s required tests they are able to come in late on those dates if they are not testing.  Not only that, but many upperclassmen will also take their ACT or SAT around this time.

One thing that is most necessary for these tests is SLEEP. Without a good-night’s rest, you will be sluggish and not all there when taking these important assessments.

According to scholastic.org, they state, “Teachers say the students who struggle the most on testing days are the ones who didn’t have enough sleep or a good breakfast the day of the test. Also, students who are physically or mentally unprepared often encounter problems.”

Just based off of something as small as not eating breakfast in the morning could potentially ruin your score. Thus proving the importance of a good-night’s rest and a heavy breakfast. Overall, it is best not to lack these two key components of your life, especially not the night before a test.

Additionally, it is extremely important to know what to expect with your state test. In fact, the Ohio State testing portal has practice tests for the AIR assessment. Taking these tests will prepare you, you will know what to expect from the upcoming test and it will instill a sense of confidence, which is needed when taking these.

Moreover, Mark Kantrowitz from fastweb.com claims, “Practice, practice, practice. The more you practice, the more familiar you will be with the test format, and the less likely you are to panic when you take the test for real. Practice also gives you an opportunity to get rid of all the bad habits that lead to careless errors. The more you practice, the more likely you are to recognize careless errors.”

Obviously, it cannot be stressed enough how important practice is. Often times your teacher will prepare you as well. Furthermore, freshman English teacher Mrs. Morelli explains, “Throughout the school year, we do various activities that are geared toward the concepts and standards, which are covered on the test, based on reading comprehension and writing skills.”

While you may not notice, your teachers are actually preparing you for the state tests the whole year. All-in-all, if you follow these key tips to standardized tests, there no reason why you can’t excel with flying colors.