JM Bridge builders earn “Teamwork Award” at bridge building competition

Elena Jones and Brandon Thomas

Sydney Miller-Snyder

Every year, Mr.Mohr takes his physics class to Youngstown State University for the annual Design, Build, Break Mahoning Valley Miniature Bridge Building Competition.

Mr. Mohr, when asked how he chose which students he would take to the contest, stated, “Brandon Thomas and Elena Jones are in my physics class and this year there was only two students.”

The goal of this contest is to build a bridge only using super glue, balsa wood, and other necessary tools to cut and measure the wood. In order to win the contest the team’s bridge must hold more weight than any o of the others. The weight is measured in pounds and they go until the bridge starts to break.

Brandon Thomas, a senior at Jackson-Milton High School , stated, “We did not place, however we did win the teamwork award. Our bridge only held 37 pounds.” Even though they only got their bridge to hold 37 pounds they placed 14th out of the 30 schools who have participated with only a two person team.

When asked what he learned through this experience he said, “Teamwork is important and ‘winging it’ is not always a good idea. It would have been very beneficial to have a design before we started.”

Congratulations to Brandon and Elena for representing Jackson-Milton High School in this amazing opportunity.