Added security adding peace of mind to JM staff and students

Sydney Miller-Snyder

Jackson-Milton High School and Middle School have put in place a couple of new security features such as window covers and bolo sticks.

The window covers were made by Mr. Mohr and the students of Fishbowl Graphics. When interviewed Mr. Mohr, teacher of Fishbowl Graphic stated, “The covers were made by vinyl film we choose this type of material due to the tiny holes which makes it see through.”

These covers help stop people from looking in while those inside can see. On the back door, they designed a cover that included a furious blue jay as well as sport teams of the past  to the side doors and front doors.  

In addition Mohr stated, “We got our inspirations for the design through other stadiums we have seen and through Mrs. Yantes for the High School door.”

The second new security feature in place in the Jackson-Milton School District is the Bolo Stick. Deputy Sosnosky helped describe the bolo stick as “galvanized steel made into a door stop to provide more time in case of an emergency.” This stick acts like a gigantic pin that hold the door shut.

When asked about for their reasoning to add the new security features Officer Sosnosky said, “Every year we seek new and inventive ways to help guarantee the safety of the students and staff.”

During the previous school year, Mahoning County Sheriff and Jackson-Milton resource officer, Bill Sosnosky, had a meeting with the board of the school district and introduced a plan to make an emergency window in every classroom. These windows can be easily be opened and pushed out by both the students or teachers in case of an emergency, such as a fire or an intruder within the building.

These windows were installed in both Jackson-Milton High School and Middle School.

Officer Sosnosky said, “I think it is a great thing, other schools were amazed over the idea. The school board over at Western Reserve High School even came over here to check them out and they decided they were going to install them as well.”

These precautions are all necessary not only to make the school district safer overall but to make the students and staff feel like they are in a safer environment.  Jackson-Milton High School and Middle School has increased the staff’s and student’s security and safety and will continue to do so.