Homecoming Spirit Week and Parade fun

Winning Float: Class of 2020

Nicholas Dolak

The week of October 8th, was spirit week which of course lead up to the Homecoming Parade, which each grade freshman to senior participated in. On Monday the 8th, the spirit theme was “USA,” everyone wore their best United States themed outfits. On Tuesday the 9th, the theme was “Tropical,” with everyone wearing palm trees, and of course lei’s. The 10th was camo day, all wore different types and different colors of camouflage. The last day, Thursday the 11th was nothing short of Blue Jay theme.

While students didn’t have school on the 12th, they still had our homecoming parade. Every grade had something unique and different from one another. In the end the Juniors won the award for best float. 

Additionally, student council from each grade 9-12 had to meet up, plan, and create their floats.

Chelsea Williams, freshman, who was head of their float, came up with the idea of “RIP Rockets” because, “The theme the grades were doing were Rockets, so we wanted to do something fun that still was in the rocket category.”

Homecoming advisor and art teacher, Ms. Amendolara enjoys the planning of the parade tremendously. Ms. A said, “Seeing all of the floats, announcing court members, and crowning the king and queen really makes everything worth it. ”

Also, the success of this years spirit week, as well as homecoming parade have encouraged Ms. A to go even bigger next year. Moreover, she claims, “Student council comes up with the themes for spirit week, so I really encourage them to go big with these floats.”  

Lastly, doing all of these things, just demonstrates the school spirit, it also brings students closer together.

Chelsea Williams states, “I enjoyed doing the parade because my friends and we really accomplished something together.”

Overall, the homecoming parade and spirit week this year was a huge success, I cannot wait to see what next year holds!