Student Council 2018

Nicholas Dolak

Over 20% more kids who participate in extracurricular activities have a 3.0 GPA or higher than those who don’t, and over 70% of current CEO’s have done extracurricular activities.

Student Council Positions have been announced, the Presidents for each grade at Jackson-Milton High School are: Dyllen Gibbs & David Vega (Senior), Grace McDevitt (Junior), Frank Prozy (Sophomore), and Jake Gross (Freshman).

In addition, the VP’s are: Evan Mitchell (Senior), Michael Liberato (Junior), Sean Lengyel (Sophomore), and Maddi Osborne (Freshman).

Freshman Vice President Maddi Osborne was inspired to run because, “I’ve always had an interest in leading, and this year I’m not too busy so I was happy to run.” Maddi definitely will be a great Vice President.

Also, Student Council advisor Ms. Amendolara plans to make this year stand out from others, she says, “Student participation, a new venue for homecoming, and starting a student section at the football games to bring about more school spirit.” Most definitely, this year will be a breakthrough year for student council.

Additionally, this year student council will be working on homecoming, blood drives, as well as fundraisers too. Student Council has already gone ahead and decided the theme for homecoming, which will be “Day of the Dead!”

Ms. Amendolara shared her plans with me on how she will be doing. “Fun pumpkins, lights, and bright colors, set along all of the tables. It will be very bright and happy atmosphere!” It’ll definitely be exciting to see what Ms. Amendolara and student council are doing to come to life.

Each grade’s student council team members will also be making a homecoming float, and each one will be a different theme. 

Osborne said, “The freshman’s don’t want to give too much away yet, but I think our float will be great. I’m gonna have the team members come to my house and work on it.”

Undoubtedly, the student council teams are going to be working hard on these floats! 

Ms Amendolara says, “Student council promotes and encourages leadership within the student body here at JM. I think it is important that elected students get to serve as the voice for their class and come together with other students to make decisions for big events such as Homecoming, two blood drives, and spring fling. They need to embody good qualities to stand out as leaders and role models within our school.”

The benefits great from it and student council helps build leadership which will help later on in college.