Advice: Tackling the rest of the semester

Allyssa Simmers, Staff Writer

As the 2017-2018 school year is flying by, we have just wrapped up the first nine-week grading period. I, myself, finished strong and plan to do the same until June. We have already dived into the second nine weeks and we could all use a little advice and a push to get through it.

First off, if you have ever stepped foot into the guidance classroom here at Jackson-Milton High, you will see a poster that states, “Getting ahead means getting started.” I have ALWAYS been a procrastinator. So much as not starting that 5-page-essay until it is due on Wednesday, and it is Tuesday. To find the motivation to actually getting started is much easier said than done. I think the most obvious piece of advice would be to at least show up to school, and do not skip classes.

Next, stay organized. I get it, some people do not always need to be organized, but it will always make it much easier to know what you are doing and what you need to do next.

I am very guilty of it myself, but watching movies, or that new TV series, all day and disregarding your instructors probably will not get you that “A.” Use your time wisely. By that I mean, do homework in study hall, work on stuff during in-class time, and learn how to delegate your time in a healthy manner. Find a healthy balance of work and fun.

Be respectful. Respect your teachers. None of them have to be there teaching you. They do it every day because they care. A little tip: if you respect them, they respect you, and that means they are more willing to help you achieve your goals.

Go to your guidance counselor. They are there to help you just as much as your teachers. Ask them questions. Talk to them about problems at home. If you are a senior, your guidance counselor is going to be your go to for all college-related questions.

Senior year gets tough, and scary. One year starts “real life.” Be open to the support your parents, teachers, and guidance counselors provide. Start strong freshman year and finish stronger senior year. The hard work pays off.