Key Club activities for 2017-18

Key Club activities for 2017-18

Nick Scarl, Staff Writer

Key Club is a public service group at Jackson-Milton for high school students to join. Key Club includes 27 students this year.

The presidents of Key Club include Kendall Tarr and Nick Scarl, vice president is Emily Williams.

These students partake in eight different events throughout the span of the school year. The first event includes the food basket drive at the Austintown Community Church on November 17th and 18th. The students will be helping make and distribute the food baskets to the people in need.

Some of the students donated their time to help make and create food baskets at the Austintown Community Church. This was a two day event from Friday 5pm-8pm and on Saturday morning 8am-11am. Friday included Kendall Tarr, Nick Scarl, and Taylor Hayes and on Saturday morning Kendall Tarr, Nick Scarl, Kori Gross, Jacob Fay, Julia Bogden. And Sean Lengel. On Friday night the student helped make and organize the food baskets for the church. The next day the students help distribute and carry out the baskets to the cars for ones that needed help.

The next events that will be coming up include they toy drive through the salvation army where the key club members will help collect and and sort the toys that are donated and then help distribute the following week. December 11th-18th will include the sorting and collecting of the toys. Then December 18th-20th will be the distribution of the toys to the kids before Christmas. 

Other events for the local community include the Easter Egg Hunt and the Annual Blue Jay 5k. The Easter Egg Hunt will be the Saturday before Easter and will be held in North Jackson. The Key Club members will help fill the eggs before the hunt and will then go up there before the hunt and help hide the eggs for the children in the community to go find.  The Annual Blue Jay 5k is an event that has been going on for some time now. It is a 5k race that is held at Jackson-Milton High School. There are different age groups that will be racing at different times.

Key Club is full of student helpers that volunteer their time for the community.