SADD sponsors Red Ribbon Week 2017

Gracie Assion, Emily Williams, and Sean Lengyel help with SADD activities in the middle school.

Logan Grunder, Staff Writer

Red Ribbon Week is an annual celebration of staying drug free. Every year most schools participate in the fun.  SADD advisors, Mrs. Morelli and Mrs. Reyes, plan the weekly activities with their officers.  This year, the officers include Josh Spalding (President), Anthony Morelli (Vice-president), Alyssa Deak (Secretary), and Sean Lengyel (Treasurer).

This usually consists of making each day of the week a theme in which the students can participate, for example “Mismatch Monday, or Freedom Friday.”  They also work with middle and elementary school students to teach lessons about the importance of being drug free.

The 2017 themes for JM were as follows: Mismatch Monday, Trick or Treat Tuesday, I woke up like this Wednesday, This is the country Thursday, and Freedom Friday. On Monday students wore mismatch clothing and socks, on Tuesday students can wore school appropriate Halloween costumes, on Wednesday students wore school appropriate pajamas, on Thursday students wore their favorite flannel or camo gear to show their country pride, and lastly on Friday students wore red, white, and blue to show that they are free to be themselves.

Upperclassmen volunteer to plan activities for the middle school. These activities took place on Thursday November 2nd.  Alyssa Deak, an officer and volunteer for the Red Ribbon Week activities said, “Speaking to the kids about the importance of staying drug free and making good choices, we had a fun activity planned so far.” Officers went to the elementary school the previous Friday during their Red Ribbon Week.

Kids often look up to older people therefore, there is a greater chance they will take some of the information to heart. Alyssa Deak also said, “I believe Red Ribbon week is a great, fun way to show the school and community that being drug free is good.”

Children should start to learn the dangers of drugs and alcohol from a young age. Lastly Deak said,“This is very important, being drug free earns you people’s respect, it will also pay off in the long run.”

Being drug free is a very good item to have on one’s resume. So before you put on your silly outfits for Red Ribbon week don’t forget to remember the main reason behind it all.