Seniors attend NEOMED career fair at Kent State

Haily Clear, Staff Writer

On Thursday October 12, 2017 the Jackson-Milton senior class of 2018 went on a fieldtrip to NeoMed. The senior class was escorted to this event by Kim Wiery, the Jackson-Milton Middle-High School guidance counselor.

Once at NeoMed, the senior class explored a college & career fair held by Kent State. This event was run by Sherylynn Chapman-Thomas, assistant director of admissions for Kent State University. At this event Kent State held multiply financial aid seminars for the attending seniors and juniors to learn more about their future options. The fair used two seminar halls with tables set up within both of the rooms and some in the hallways.

Colleges from all over attended this event, not just colleges in Ohio. There were colleges from Virginia, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York, etc. The colleges all ranged from large to small and they all offered different specialized programs and classes for their students. All of the colleges had one or more representatives at each table waiting to answer any questions students may have about their respective school. All of the tables also had little information cards students could fill out so that the school could contact them with more information regarding their specific courses of choice.

Certain schools even had multiple tables for the smaller branches of their school. Like Kent State for example had different tables for their schools in Ashtabula, East Liverpool, Salem, etc. This field trip overall was a wonderful and eye opening experience for our seniors, and a wonderful way to learn about their options for the future.