JM art students demonstrate the “key” to their success

Lyndsey Wyant, Staff Writer

Recently, Jackson-Milton was part of the Scholastic Art Awards at Youngstown State University and had a phenomenal experience.  Founded in 1927 by Scholastic Inc., the Scholastic Art Awards program is dedicated to recognizing the achievements of young artists. The program has recognized more than 13 million creative teenagers, including Andy Warhol and Robert Redford in its 90 year history.

The Department of Art at Youngstown State University hosted the 2017 Northeastern Ohio Scholastic Art Awards Exhibition in Bliss Hall on Saturday, January 14th. Students in grades 612 from over 60 Northeast Ohio schools are all gathered with over 850 works of their art on display, including the Jackson-Milton school district.

Senior, Journey Morriss art portfolio was the Gold Key recipient, as well as the chosen recipient for the prestigious Florence Simon Beecher Scholarship which is renewable and will allow her to attend YSU studying art.

Additional Jackson-Milton students earned awards including Katie Matasy who earned a Gold Key Award, Julissa Tomaino earned one Gold Key Award as well as three Honorable Mentions, Liz Pifer earned one Gold Key, and Mackenzie Grope earned a Silver Key Award.

These students help set good examples for the art community in our school’s art classes and beyond, congratulations to the students who put forth the effort and earned awards. The Northeastern Ohio Scholastic Art Awards Exhibition program did a wonderful job influencing and encouraging our countys students into doing as well as they did. They helped inspire students to all come together and celebrate what they love.  The American Visions Award and Gold Key finalists will be sent to New York City where they will compete for awards and possible scholarships with other student entries from across the nation.