A student perspective on the Presidential Debate: October 4

Travis Tikkanen, Staff Writer

The newest Presidential Debate on October 4, 2016 has caused quite a stir all over social media. Many people are even having their own debate as to who “won” the debate. Trump was very up front and aggressive, while Hillary Clinton appeared more calm and collected. They both debated back and forth for a very long time, resulting in an exciting debate.

A lot of the debate included the candidates arguing back and forth to one another on issues while including insulting remarks. When one of them would give a response, the other would reply with an insult them right back. A great example of this, was when Donald Trump said that Hillary did not have the “look” to be a president, nor does she have the “stamina either.” She then fired back saying, “he can talk to me about stamina when he accomplishes as much as I have.” Their behavior gave the appearance of a lack of maturity and often they didn’t seem like actual presidential candidates.

Another factor in the debate was how these candidates would consistently bring up the past to focus on current issues. Whenever Hillary would describe how Trump was not the right fit for current issues, she would bring up what he did in the past many years ago. Likewise with Trump, he would bring up Hillary’s past actions, especially what she had said in her past campaign.

There were key points that the candidates debated about which meant a great deal to many Americans. One of the main questions was how the candidates feel about free trade. This has been the main topic for Trump’s campaign and he is against it. Trump stated that all of the free trade has taken away jobs in America. He believes that if America starts getting resources from our own country, we will open many jobs for people and it will even bring down the country’s debt. Hillary, on the other hand, is for free trade and thinks it doesn’t cause many issues. She believes that it helps the country and is needed. They both have very different opinions on the issue as you can see.

Another main issue that has been debated is the topic of minimum wage. Hillary really wants to raise the minimum wage and thinks it will make a huge difference for Americans by boosting the minimum wage to $12 an hour. Trump does not believe that there needs to be an increase on the minimum wage because he believes he can increase economic growth as a whole. He also thinks that with all the jobs he will be able to create, there really is no need to increase it. Clinton and Trump both are looking at opposite ends of this spectrum.

The last highlight of the debate was the candidates views on the nation’s taxes and deficits. Clinton has been saying she wants to raise taxes for the nation’s wealthiest Americans, making the minimum tax rate 30% on top earners. Trump plans on cutting taxes for many Americans from 35% to 15%. Some studies have shown that between the two candidate’s plans, Trump would increase the national debt by trillions while, on the other hand, Clinton can earn trillions. Both of these candidates want to make taxes better for Americans but the outcome may be very different.

As you can see these candidates have very different plans for America. The first debate, for many people, was not outstanding but there is more to come. The next debate is on October 9th and people will start to really get a better feel on who to vote for. Maybe Trump or Clinton will have a huge impact during this next debate, or even change the minds of many Americans.