National Honor Society: An Overview

Eric Ostrowski, Staff Writer

National Honor Society, also known as NHS, is a prestigious group for Juniors and Seniors who go above and beyond inside and outside of the classroom. Once inducted into NHS, students volunteer for school and community events. Volunteering is a huge part of NHS and volunteer hours are required to be inducted.

This past year, 10 Juniors were inducted into National Honor Society along with 5 Seniors. The students who were inducted, along with the four inductees from the previous year, volunteered for the 2016 Mother-Son dance and Relay for Life at Austintown Fitch. This year, the 10 Juniors who are now Seniors will be volunteering at and hosting multiple events, including the 2016 Father-Daughter dance, the 2017 Mother-Son dance, the Spring Extravaganza, and the 2017 Relay for Life at Austintown Fitch.
In April, Juniors, and Seniors who weren’t inducted last year, have the chance to be inducted into NHS this year. Mrs. Jeanne Reyes, who is our school’s NHS advisor, along with other teachers in our school, decide who gets inducted into NHS based on their qualifications. Getting inducted into National Honor Society is a huge honor for any student, and it looks great on a college application. Being a good student and good citizen is the basis of NHS.