Safety is always a top concern at JM

Officer+Sosnosky

Officer Sosnosky

Brian Royea

Officer Sosnosky has been conducting a series of state-mandated safety drills in Jackson-Milton High and Middle Schools. The friendly resource officer was receptive to questions about them, and opened up on many other issues.  He went more in-depth on how he personally keeps a level head  and does his job to the best of his ability.

Safety is important for Officer Sosnosky, who claims readiness is key towards being safe in a school environment. The safety drills mandated by the state are pivotal to this, and he said he trusted the administration and student body to be ready in case of any incident. The safety drills are picked at random, but do not overlap with any school events and are picked on days where Officer Sosnosky and Principal Vega can attend. Preparedness is key in many issues for Officer Sosnosky, who when asked about issues like mental health and how it relates to general safety in schools, had no shortage of things to say.

He said keeping the student body safe is a top priority.  Because of how prepared the staff and students are in relation to safety issues, he is confident that under such circumstances, he is more than prepared. He said his confidence in administration and the student body again reassured him that everyone would be safe in the case that any unforeseen safety threat arrives. He is also reassured he has taken the right steps to letting students be aware of mental health issues with the rise of shootings in school.

Officer Sosnosky, who took students on a field trip to see a suicide awareness speaker, believes mental health awareness is one of, if not the single most important step that can be taken to keep students safe. He mentioned the suicide epidemic in the United States, and cited young people as being particularly affected by this. Working with Mrs. Wiery, the school guidance counselor, he believes this field trip helped bring awareness to issues for students this age.

In a scary world, where headlines of tragedy in school dominate the airwaves, Officer Sosnosky believes he is prepared for any sort of incident, he steps up to the task effortlessly, trusting the students and faculty to be ready for anything and everything.  Officer Sosnosky reassures students through his safety drills, field trips, and general awareness of issues affecting students today. He is sound in his belief of his preparedness, and students should feel safe having a resource officer like him in their school.