School Safety Procedures

Abigail Spalding

Recently Jackson-Milton has updated their safety procedures for fire drills and lockdowns. Before JM adjusted our drills, each student ran out of the door toward the assigned exits, now for a fire drill students wait as the teachers clear the halls then each student follows them down the hall and out the door towards the library.  All of these changes seem much more efficient and safe for students and teachers alike.

Many of our teachers are willing to risk their lives to save all the children in their class. The changes made to these drills are meant to help keep every student and teacher safe and keep outside danger outside our school. There should be no reason why kids fear coming to school, it should be a safe and healthy environment for students of all grades. The new procedures that have been set in place are a good jump start on making kids feel more safe and comfortable while attending school.

The prior drills had some flaws in them, but now with the new revisions of the procedure it makes not only the students but also the teachers safer and more comfortable. There is always going to be something to improve as new inventions and knowledge come to light, but Jackson-Milton is doing a great job at danger prevention in their schools and it’s only going to get better and safer throughout the upcoming years.